Tuesday 15 July 2014

[Review] Benefit They're Real Push-Up Liner & The Heist

*Also known as, "How to be a pro at marketing..."

 [Image from benefitcosmetics.co.uk]

According to the product page the They're Real Push-Up Liner Pen;
It’s the FIRST EVER lash-hugging gel liner in a pen! This matte black gel formula won’t smudge, budge or dry out, and the innovative soft AccuFlex™ Tip hugs your lashline from corner to corner. The closer the line, the bigger the eye!  

Skeptical? Well i'm useless with eyeliner, so I was not convinced that i'd be able to use this, but I had high hopes for the formula, as I do like gel liners, and they always work better for me than liquid. A lot of the reviews I saw raved about it, but then I saw some really negative reviews about it on the Facebook page. I was on the fence about going ahead and buying this, but I found a code to get a free mini with a Birchbox subscription, so I ordered a box for my mum so I could have the mini to try! Result!

Well, this weekend I went to "The Heist", which is probably the best marketing campaign by any company, ever... and is Benefit Cosmetic's answer to promoting the release of their new liner. The Heist is a portable crate containing a laser maze, with the liner sat upon a podium at the end. Get past the lasers, and the product is yours.

[Image from the Benefit UK Facebook Page. ]

The challenge itself is surprisingly simple... After a few goes... I still didn't win, as I had to rush off. But I think if i'd have had another go i'd have gotten all the way to the end! My problem was I tried to take the same route as my friend, who did win... But forgot to counter in the fact her legs are twice as long as mine, which caused problems when facing a super high laser at the end!
Ok so maybe her legs aren't actually twice as long as mine, but she is still a leggy wonder...

 [Image from the Benefit UK Facebook Page. ]

Either way, it was great fun and I did get to have a few goes. The Heist was staffed by some really lovely benebabes and a Benefit police man, who were really friendly and offering samples to the public. We were there at 11am, and pretty soon after the queue was getting quite long. Lots of gents having a go too! (Where were any of my leggy men friends when I needed them hmm?)


Maybe a belt would have helped me out /// Wonder Child and her new Eyeliner!
[Images from my Instagram.]

Yesterday, I gave my sample a try. It's a really cute dinky little eyeliner in the classic black and orange packaging used with the rest of the They're Real range, and the mini pen comes complete with the unique tip that is a big part of the appeal for this liner.

Now, the sample was difficult to use for me, as I couldn't quite figure out how to get the product into the tip, and then when I did I squeezed it too hard and too much came out each time! That made it a little tougher to use, but I got there eventually. With a little practice, and the full size pen, I think it would be far easier to get an even application.

So here is the awful phone pics I managed to take as I rushed out the door to work. I wore it with Urban Decay's 24/7 Glide on Eyeliner Pencil in the colour Freak, with the colours Freak and Revolt from the Electric palette, and finished off with Tarte's Lights, Camera, Lashes mascara.


This look lasted all night, without any sort of primer! (I actually think the Urban Decay liner got brighter as the night wore on...)

To Conclude:
Yep. Yep, I will be buying the full size product.  





They're Real Push-Up Liner is available from Boots, Debenhams and BenefitCosmetics.co.uk priced at £18.50. Or if you're in Manchester (19-20 July) and Glasgow (26-27 July) you can take on The Heist challenge and win one for yourself.

Are you a fan of the Push-Up liner? Have you been to The Heist and won?

See ya next time!








[Disclaimer : The Sample was free at The Heist event, all views are my own and I received no compensation or incentive to make this post.]

No comments:

Post a Comment