Wednesday 26 November 2014

[Let's Watch] The Hunger Games : Mockingjay Part 1

Splitting a film into two parts has become pretty popular in recent years, huh? Generally, it annoys me. You get to the end of a film, but you're only half way through? Whaaaaat!? It throws me completely off balance. That being said, it wasn't stopping me popping to the cinema for another one....
Let's Watch

The thing I like most about The Hunger Games movies, is feeling that they haven't cut out big chunks of the books. I thought that the Catching Fire film had pretty much everything that Suzanne Collins wrote in the book. I was actually really happy about the fact that Mockingjay was being split into two, as it made it even more likely that all the detail from the books will be put on screen.


I'm not going to lie, this film is slow and kind of uneventful. That isn't to say it isn't a good film, and that it has no action whatsoever. The first half of the book is slow and uneventful too, but I still liked that. Mockingjay Part 1, builds a strong foundation fraught with tension, setting up for an explosive second installment. 

Mockingjay uses its environment to great effect. The rubble and ruin in the districts coupled with the building oppressive atmosphere felt in dark underground district are a stark contrast to the plush leafy arenas and glittering Capitol where the main action of the first two films took place. There are areas where the outlook doesn't seem so glum. These places are bright, vibrant and peaceful. Moments that throwback to the beginning of the first film, before the reaping and all hell descends on the life of Katniss Everdeen.


Mockingjay part 1 explores the fall out of the quarter quell, its effects on the victors and the creation propaganda or 'propos'. The Propos are the rebels way of attempting to stir up support in the district, that plays out like a chess game of moves and counter-moves with the Capitol. Delving deeper into the politics of the Capitol, and revealing more about President Snow.

But that isn't to say it's all politics. Mockingjay part one for me highlights the real character of Katniss more than before. She isn't constantly trying to please the cameras, or fight for survival. She gets a reprieve to be herself, and face the horrors she has been through, the reality of whats to come, and what is expected of her at only seventeen years old.

 <<source>>

Unlike the first two films, there wasn't much room for the costume department to shine. No firey dresses to oooh and aahhh at this time, just a lot of grey jumpsuits and military gear. The brief glimpses into the Capitol however, retain those beautiful costumes and fabrics. The cherry on top of Mockingjay is some of the incredible attention to little details that would often be overlooked, particularly with injuries and bruises. The costume department really nailed it, and with the drab jumpsuits, it stands out all the more.

If eye candy is what you're after... You get to see a lot more of Gale this time round. Yay. I feel so sorry for my friend who had to put up with my swooning my way through this. You would have thought he suffered enough during Captain America.

I still think that Catching Fire is the strongest film in the franchise, but I have high hopes that Mockingjay part 2 will blow it out of the water. I'm going to try to re-read the book before next year and the next installment, to refresh my memory but from what I do remember, I really think the next film is going to be huge. I can't wait to see how it comes out on screen.

Have you been to see Mockingjay yet?
 








Catch up with me;

No comments:

Post a Comment